Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing #19

The Web 2.0 awards have awarded many of the sites we have looked at in these 23 things. I use iGoogle and have a page set up that gives me all the gadgets and tools that I like in one place. This will be very helpful next year during school since I will not have to look around at all the different websites to get the information I need.
I have created a Delicious account, a Library Thing account, used Google Docs to share and edit files, used Flickr, looked at Google Earth and Google maps, and used Rollyo and Youtube.
All of these are execellent sites and will be very valuable, I will just need more time to really use them and become familar with them, but they all offer tools to make our lives easier.
After looking at the list the one I really looked at was Wikispaces. I created 2 wikis, 1 for the AR comittee at our school and one for the Bronco Lunch Bunch which is our book club at school. I plan on using the AR wiki as our virtual meeting place for the committe to collaborate and for the Lunch Bunch to use to discuss the books we are reading as a group.
I like the fact that I can have multiple wikis all under my account and that I can chose to make them public or private under one account.

4 comments:

  1. I am also taking a course through the tech department in which we created a wiki. I too am planning on using it to collaborate with teachers regarding AR and I like your idea of using it with the book club. The Fleming Library Aide's son enjoyed the book club and it was a big deal to him to make it to your lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ideas for using the wikis. I had a hard time getting familiar with the wikis. I think that using them in this manner would be beneficial for everyone involved. I want to talk to you more about the Lunch Book Club! I would love to start something similiar this year!Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have truly enjoyed the Bronco Lunch Bunches. This year we will have 6 for 3rd and 4th grades, 5 for 2nd grade and for the first time 1 for 1st grade. I usually do the Bluebonnet books with the 3rd and 4th graders to encourage them to participate and "Read 5 and decide!" We do not start 2nd grade until February so that they can be more independent. I always do Down Girl and Sit On the Road as the first book and the 2nd graders love it! I am venturing out with 1st grade this year and I have no idea yet what book we will do, but we won't hold theirs until May. The students really do love it. We have had anywhere from 18 kids all the way to 80 kids lunching in the library! I will send you both a copy of the schedule and I created for library activities.
    I would like to start a wiki for the librarians in our district to collaborate.
    What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of using wikis for meetings. Will try myself.

    ReplyDelete

A Librarian's 2.0 Manifesto